Sunday, June 21, 2009

Welcome to the Velvet Ditch

Welcome to the world in and around Oxford, Mississippi -- aka The Velvet Ditch. A town that sucks you in with the cold beer, great bands and rich literary history. I came here almost ten years ago on the way to Austin, Texas. I was supposed to teach a semester at the University of Mississippi and head on down the road -- I ended up buying an old farm and making this my base. The town has changed a lot since that time, more boutiques and more expensive for the writers, artists and musicians. But there are plenty of great ones left who will be invited them here to talk about their latest projects and the happenings on and off the Square. I hope to get posts on the band events, art shows, and hopefully the offbeat stuff you hear up at the bars. It was just last week when Dave at City Grocery served a fella who'd just dropped off a trailer full of moneys in Tupelo . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment